- Subscriptions Policy
- Website T&C’s
- Advertising T&C’s
- Contributors Guidelines
- Contributors T&C’s
Any questions regarding this policy or enquiries regarding privacy should be sent to The Data Controller, TANDY Media Limited, PO Box 302, Bexhill-on-Sea, TN40 9HN, UK.
What type of information is collected by TANDY Media?
TANDY Media collects most information directly from the users of its website(s). We collect this information so you can subscribe to one of TANDY Media’s magazines, purchase products via the TANDY Media website, request a product or service from TANDY Media, complete a survey or questionnaire, enter a competition, or communicate with TANDY Media by e-mail or telephone.
If you are aged 16 or under, you must get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide us with your personal information. Unless you have this consent you are not allowed to give us your information.
TANDY Media may also be provided with personal information about an individual from a third party, for example from third parties who give gift subscriptions. The type of personal information collected includes (but is not limited to) name, address, contact details, age range and gender.
How is this information used by TANDY Media?
TANDY Media uses personal information primarily for the purpose to facilitate orders for subscriptions via its website(s). TANDY Media may also use this information to enhance the shopping experience, resulting in a more personalised service for you. TANDY Media will only use this information to communicate with its customers and to provide updated information on products and services if you expressly allow it (though a check box). TANDY Media will not provide your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes, unless you expressly allow it (though a check box).
From time to time, we may provide statistical information about sales, trading patterns and navigation techniques to our publishing partners. This will simply comprise data collected about you and other users to form aggregate results.
The only exception to this is where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies). If you post or send offensive or inappropriate content anywhere on our services, or otherwise engage in any antisocial behaviour, we may use your information to stop such behaviour. In this instance we may use your information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school, e-mail or internet provider, or law enforcement agencies.
We require all third parties with whom we share your information to treat it with the same protection we do. Unless you consent we also require that they do not use your information for their own business purposes.
To whom might TANDY Media disclose Personal Information?
TANDY Media will provide your information to Publishers or suppliers of the products or services you have ordered so that these orders can be fulfilled.
TANDY Media may also provide your information to other organizations who are sponsoring or otherwise involved with or participating in a promotion, competition or survey; including registered companies that are involved with the drawing of the prize and database management entities.
What is a Cookie?
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer or mobile device when you first visit one of our web pages.
Certain cookies contain personal information, for example if you click on a “remember me” button when you login a cookie will store your username.
Most cookies will not collect information that personally identifies you. They will collect more general information such as how users arrive at and use our websites, or a user’s general location.
What cookies do we use?
Generally our cookies perform up to four different functions:
- Strictly necessary cookies.These are cookies that are required for the operation of ourwebsite. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. These are cookies that allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to this website and see how visitors move around the website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functional cookies. These cookies are used to recognise your device when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region)
- Tracking cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
We have no control over third party cookies.
These cookies are likely to be analytical/performance cookies or tracking cookies.
Third party cookies cannot be used to identify you personally; they can only be used for statistical analysis, for example to provide you with adverts that are more relevant to your interests.
If you would like to disable third party cookies you can do so by going to the relevant third party website and opting out there.
Please note that if you opt out of third party advertising cookies, you will still continue to receive advertising when using the website, however that advertising will not be tailored to you.
How to control and delete cookies
However, if you wish to restrict or block the cookies which are set by our website, or indeed any other website, you can do this through your browser settings. The “Help” function within your browser should tell you how to activate the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies.
Alternatively you may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information about how to restrict or block cookies on a wide variety of browsers. You will also find information about how to delete cookies from your machine as well as more general information about cookies.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU USE YOUR BROWSER SETTINGS TO BLOCK ALL COOKIES (INCLUDING ESSENTIAL COOKIES) YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS ALL OR PARTS OF OUR SITE.
If you ordered a magazine subscription and wish to cancel, we are happy to refund any un-mailed issues. If you are dissatisfied in any way, you can write or call to cancel and we will refund you for all un-mailed issues.
We hope that our customers are fully satisfied every time they shop with us. However, occasionally we understand that you may wish to return an item. In the case of unwanted items they may be returned, unused, within 30 days of delivery in exchange for a different item or a full refund. Please pack the relevant item securely in its original packing, in a re-sellable condition, and send it to us with an explanation of the reason for its return. Please note that you will be responsible for the costs of returning the goods except where a fault is discovered within 30 days of purchase – in these events, we will cover the cost of the returned delivery. When returned items are being exchanged for different products you will be charged for re-delivery, where applicable. In the case of all returned items it is the customer’s responsibility to ensure safe delivery to us and we recommend the use of an insured postal service. All outgoing delivery costs are excluded.
Please return faulty goods to TANDY Media Limited, PO Box 302, Bexhill-on-Sea, TN40 9HN, UK.
EXCLUSIONS FOR UNWANTED ITEMS
We cannot accept returns of audio/video/DVD products or software that you have unsealed or any periodicals/magazines.
Please return faulty goods to our office at the address above. A like for like replacement will be provided where possible. The item must be within the manufacturer’s warranty period, if applicable. Where items returned are subsequently found NOT to be faulty, the customer will be liable for all costs.
ITEMS SENT IN ERROR
In the case of an incorrect item being received, we will endeavour to send you the correct item as soon as possible once we receive the original item back. You will not be liable for any carriage charges to rectify this situation.
If goods are found to have been damaged in transit then they may be returned and a replacement, if requested and if available, will be despatched. If no replacement is available then monies will be refunded in full. We must be informed within 7 days of receipt by either e-mail on email@example.com or by telephone on 01323 514435 (UK) or +44 1323 514435 (overseas) with confirmation in writing thereafter. It is in your own interests to check the delivery immediately and notify us of any problems.
NON-DELIVERY OF GOODS
Claims for missing items or the non-delivery of complete orders must be made within 30 days of the despatch date. Any claims for non-delivery after 30 days from the date of despatch cannot be accepted. Any customers who have selected surface mail as their delivery option please call UK: 01323 514435 (UK) or +44 1323 514435 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
These Terms & Conditions shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
Website Terms & Conditions
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
Unless specified, all copyright, trademarks, design rights and all other intellectual property rights (registered or unregistered) and all content located on the website are the exclusive property of Tandy Media Ltd. All rights reserved. Any unauthorised reproduction and/or use is strictly prohibited, unless written permission has been granted by Tandy Media Ltd.
You are only allowed to print, download or temporarily store extracts from our websites for your personal, non-commercial use, or information or when you use the Internet Online Payments Service. You must keep any copyright or other notices contained in the original material on any of the material you download. You are not allowed to alter, copy, distribute, transmit, display, reproduce, or transfer anything on this website and any other use is prohibited unless you first get our express written consent. No one may use any part of our internet websites on any other website, or link any other website to our internet websites, without such consent.
USE OF THE WEBSITE BY YOU
The information contained in this website is intended for general information only. Tandy Media Ltd makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy or availability of such information, and shall not be responsible in any way for any use of or reliance on such information by any person.
Tandy Media Ltd is committed to the highest standards of quality of information. If there are any items of incorrect information would you please contact us and advise which page contains the error.
Tandy Media Ltd is not responsible for any sites that may be accessed from links contained in this website, and makes no representation or warranty as to their availability, or the suitability or accuracy of their content. If you choose to link to these sites you do so at your own risk.
You agree not to use any obscene, indecent or offensive language, or to place on the website any material that is false, defamatory, abusive, harassing or hateful. Further, you may not place on the website any material that breaches copyright or any other rights of another person or organisation. You may not place on the website any information that is encrypted, constitutes junk mail or unauthorised advertising, invades anyone’s privacy, encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability, or that otherwise violates any local, state, national or international law or regulation. You agree to use the website only for lawful purposes and you acknowledge that your failure to do so may subject you to civil and criminal liability.
You are responsible for ensuring that any material you provide to the website including but not limited to text, photographs and sound, does not violate the copyright, trade mark, trade secret or any other personal or proprietary rights of any third party.
You are responsible for the content of your posts and Tandy Media Ltd does not accept any liability for the content or accuracy of your messages.
If you believe that your work has been copied and is accessible on any Tandy Media Ltd website in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or that the website contains links or other references to another online location that contains Tandy Media Ltd immediately so appropriate action can be taken.
Tandy Media Ltd makes every effort to ensure that information contained in these pages is accurate and up to date. However, we cannot guarantee that inaccuracies will not occur and we cannot give you any warranty nor can we make any representation regarding the accuracy or completeness of the content of our website.
Tandy Media Ltd, its employees or agents cannot be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of use of this website, or reliance on the information provided or any other information accessed via these web pages. Tandy Media Ltd accepts no liability for any such loss, damage or inconvenience and it is up to the user to satisfy himself of the suitability of the website(s) which he uses entirely at his own risk.
Access to and use of this website is at the user’s own risk and Tandy Media Ltd does not warrant that the use of this website or any material downloaded from it will not cause damage to any property, including but not limited to loss of data or computer virus infection. You are advised to ensure that you have adequate measures to prevent any such problems.
Tandy Media Ltd is not responsible for the contents or accuracy of any linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. These links are provided for your convenience and do not imply that we endorse or support those organisations, the information on their pages, or their products or services in any way.
These sites are not under the control of Tandy Media Ltd and we cannot be responsible for their content. We cannot guarantee that these links will work at all times and we have no control over the availability of the linked pages. You link to such websites at your own risk. Tandy Media Ltd cannot be liable for any loss or damage which may arise from the use of such third party websites.
Tandy Media Ltd reserves the right to amend these terms & conditions from time to time.
- Any person who is an employee or an immediate family member of an employee of Tandy Media Ltd or any other person who is directly connected with the organisation of any particular competition is ineligible to participate.
- By entering the competition entrants will be deemed to have read and understood these rules and be bound by them.
- All decisions of Tandy Media Ltd will be final and binding. No correspondence will be entered into.
- All entries answers must be received by Tandy Media Ltd by the closing date specified in the competition. Answers will be entered automatically upon submission. No responsibility will be taken by Tandy Media Ltd for any answers that are illegible, misdirected, lost for technical or other reasons or received after the closing date.
- If for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable Tandy Media Ltd reserves the right at its absolute discretion to substitute a similar prize of equivalent or greater value. None of the prizes may be exchanged or transferred and no cash alternative will be offered. Only one prize will be awarded per household. Please allow 28 days for delivery of all prizes.
- The winner(s) name(s) will be selected in a random draw from all correct answers received. Winner(s) of prizes will be notified within seven days after the winner(s) have been ascertained. Names of winners are available from Tandy Media Ltd upon request. For each competition, only one prize will be awarded per entrant / email address.
- If the winner(s) of the prize cannot be traced after reasonable efforts having been made by Tandy Media Ltd then Tandy Media Ltd may dispose of the prize as it thinks fit without any liability to the winner(s) for having done so.
- Where prizes are to be provided by a third party then the winner(s) will be required to complete all appropriate or applicable booking or other formalities direct with such provider. Tandy Media Ltd will have no responsibility for the acts or defaults of any other persons.
- Tandy Media Ltd reserves the absolute right to disqualify any entrant to any competition which it considers has used improper technical means to enter.
Advertising Terms & Conditions
STANDARD CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS
- These conditions shall apply to all advertisements (including insets and inserts) accepted for publication. Any other proposed condition shall be void unless incorporated clearly in written instructions and specifically accepted by the Publisher.
- All advertisements are accepted subject to the Publisher’s approval of the copy and to the space being available.
- If it is intended to include in an advertisement a competition or a special offer of merchandise, other than that normally associated with the advertised product, full details must be submitted at the time of booking.
- The Publisher reserves the right to omit or suspend an advertisement at any time for good reason, in which case no claim on the part of any Advertiser for damage or breach of contract shall arise. Should such omission or suspension be due to the act or default of the Advertiser or his servants or agents, then the space reserved for the advertisement shall be paid in full notwithstanding that the advertisement has not appeared. Such omission or suspension shall be notified to the Advertiser as soon as possible.
- If the Publisher considers it necessary to modify the space or alter that date or position of insertion or make any other alteration, the Advertiser will have the right to cancel if the alterations requested are unacceptable, unless such changes are due to an emergency or circumstances beyond the Publisher’s control. Every care is taken to avoid mistakes but the Publisher cannot accept liability for any errors due to third parties, subcontractors or inaccurate copy instructions.
- The Advertiser warrants that the advertisement does not contravene any Act of Parliament nor is it in any other way illegal or defamatory or an infringement of any other party’s rights or an infringement of the British Code of Advertising Practice. Country of origin (other than the United Kingdom) of goods advertised must be shown in advertisements if so required by statute of statutory or other regulations.
- The Advertiser will indemnify the Publisher fully in respect of any claim made against the Publisher arising from the advertisement. The Publisher will consult with the Advertiser as to the way in which such claims are to be handled.
- Advertisement rates are subject to revision at any time and orders are accepted on condition that the price binds the Publisher only in respect of the next issue to go to press. In the event of a rate increase, the Advertiser will have the option to cancel the order without surcharge or continue the order at the revised advertisement rates.
- If an advertiser cancels the balance of a contract, except in the circumstances set out in clauses 5 or 8 above, he relinquishes any right to that series discount to which he was previously entitled and advertisements will be paid for at the appropriate rate.
- Series rates apply only if the order is completed within 12 months of the date of the first Insertion.
- Pre-payment is required for the first advertisement from new advertisers. Upon receipt of which an account will be created for any further advertising. Thereafter, accounts are due for settlement on or before the 30th of the month following the date of publication of the advertisement. In the event of any account becoming overdue, the Publisher reserves the right both to suspend insertions due under the order until such time as the sum owing is paid and to reduce any commission otherwise allowed to advertising agencies. All gross display advertising rates are subject to the current Advertising Standards Board of Finance surcharge payable by the Advertisers. Where orders are placed by Advertising Agents the Agency will be responsible for collecting this surcharge and paying it to the Advertising Standards Board of Finance. Where the Advertiser places advertising direct, the Publisher will surcharge its gross rate by the current rate and pass this direct to the Advertising Standards Board of Finance.
- Advertisement copy should be supplied by the Advertiser or his Agent in accordance with the mechanical data published on the rate card. Charges will be made to the Advertiser of his Agent where the printers are involved in extra production work owing to acts or defaults of the Advertiser or his Agent. Complaints regarding reproduction of advertisements must be received in writing within one calendar month of the cover date.
- At least 4 weeks’ notice prior to cover date is required to stop or suspend a monotone insertion. At least 6 weeks’ notice prior to cover date is required to stop or suspend a colour insertion.
- If copy instructions are not received by agreed copy date no guarantee can be given that proofs will be supplied nor corrections made and the Publisher reserves the right to repeat the most appropriate copy.
- Advertisers’ property, artwork, etc. are held at Owners’ risk and should be insured by them against loss or damage from whatever cause. The Publisher reserves the right to destroy all artwork which has been in his custody for twelve months from the date of its last appearance.
- For the purpose of these conditions, Advertiser shall refer to the Advertiser or his Agent whichever is the principal. ‘Advertisement’ includes loose or other inserts where appropriate.
- These Conditions and all other express items of the contract shall be governed and construed in accordance with the Laws of England.
SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE AND ILLUSTRATIONS
Computer file formats:
PC users must save their text articles in a Microsoft Word-compatible format, as plain text or in Rich Text Format. Work can be submitted as an email attachment, but this should only be done with small file sizes, generally less than 2MB. Editors may also insist that a print-out of the text is supplied to accompany an emailed submission, because text formatting and accents can be lost when converting to a Word document.
Please contact the respective Editor before sending larger files, such as images. Please do not mix text and illustrations in the same file – keep them separate. We also require that specification tables are simply tabulated into columns and not formulated into panels or boxes.
Captioning information for photographs must also be included. Photo captions should give a clear credit for the origin of the shot. Illustrations should be numbered or otherwise identified, so that they can be matched to the captions. We do not accept photocopied manuscripts, only originals. Please note that hand-written manuscripts will not normally be accepted as these have to be typed by Editorial staff and a charge for this service will be deducted from the contributor’s payment. Manuscripts, once used, will not normally be returned to contributors.
Contributors are urged to contact the relevant Editor before sending, particularly if sending large files via the Internet. As a rough guide, we are looking for jpegs or tiffs of at least 300 dpi to a width of 21cms (or 1600 pixels), as this will enable images to be used across the full width of the page if necessary. Please note that all electronic images should be clearly linked to their caption sheets with consistent numbering, etc. A ‘thumbnail’ print-out of images can help considerably and some editors may insist on this. Where used, colour transparencies either 35mm or 2.5in square, are normally required, or colour prints can be utilised depending on quality. Please note that we do not accept glass mounts because they could damage transparencies if they break.
Editors are always happy to discuss any of the above with contributors.
Contributors Terms & Conditions
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE
These terms relate to any printed or online publications, as well as any websites owned by Tandy Media Ltd. These terms will not be varied, the only exception to that would be in the event that a Director of the Company or the Editor has expressly agreed in writing to a variation. By submitting material for publication, or by agreeing to prepare material for publication, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions.
CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE
The editors are always happy to receive contributions. Please note that all material sent to an editor is forwarded at the contributor’s own risk. While every care is taken with material, neither the editors nor the Publisher can be held responsible for any loss or damage incurred. All material submitted (especially photographs and slides) must have the contributor’s name and address clearly marked upon it, and a stamped addressed envelope should be enclosed. In the case of both unsolicited and commissioned feature work, the contribution can only be deemed as being accepted on receipt of a letter of confirmation from the editor this will be a communication other than an acknowledgement of receipt.
Please note that Tandy Media Ltd cannot accept any liability for damage/loss of equipment/belongings, personal injury/loss of life incurred, or Third Party claims, whilst undertaking either unsolicited or commissioned work for any of its titles. Applications for press facilities at events can only be made after consultation with an Editor and in that case invariably arrangements will be made by Tandy Media Ltd on behalf of a writer/contributor. The editors reserve the right to cut copy (reduce the length of an article) and rewrite or otherwise modify it if they deem it necessary. We draw your attention to the need for all contributed work to be original and subject to proper research and presentation. “Cutting and pasting” material from websites or printed media and reproducing it within text is wholly unacceptable, not to mention illegal. The contributor may be liable for any expense incurred by Tandy Media Ltd as a result of incorrect information or plagiarism in their submitted work. Contributors must adhere to the magazine ‘style sheet’ (see below) – failure to do so may result in extra editorial work and those costs incurred may be deducted from payment.
Tandy Media Ltd’s titles are published in the UK but distributed worldwide –an article will therefore appear in all those countries in which the magazine is sold. By submitting an article to Tandy Media Ltd you are granting to Tandy Media Ltd an exclusive irrevocable license to publish the article in any of Tandy Media Ltd’s titles anywhere in the world and for any purpose associated with the publication of the titles anywhere in the world. The rights granted in the above paragraph include, but are not limited to, the right for Tandy Media Ltd to license articles, or any parts of articles that appear in its magazines to other journals around the world. Such licensing may include making or procuring a translation by a third party of the article into a foreign language. The rights granted in the above paragraph also include, but are not limited to, the right for Tandy Media Ltd to publish any articles published in its magazines, on its websites, or in any other of its digital products (including all present and future media formats).
We acknowledge that material submitted and used remains your copyright.
Payment for articles is made at the discretion of individual magazine editors. All figures are based upon word-count published, not word-count submitted. No payments are made for captions. All submissions will be treated on that basis. For guidance, please email relevant magazine editors directly.
For the avoidance of doubt, payment made according to the paragraph above is made following the first publication of the article in one of Tandy Media Ltd’s titles anywhere in the world or on its website. No further payment will be made for subsequent reprints of the articles in any media or format (either by Tandy Media Ltd in its titles, or on its websites, or by third parties licensed by Tandy Media Ltd).
Payment for photographs and illustrations is also at the discretion of the relevant editor. Illustrations published in the ‘letters’ pages of our magazines are not generally paid for. Likewise, illustrations re-used on the contents page or in digital formats do not warrant an additional fee. Should an editor decide to use either colour transparencies or colour prints for reproduction in black and white, payment will be made at the black and white rate. In the case of rare photographs and/or where the negative is not available to the sender, we will waive our usual requirement for half-plate or postcard photographs. If it is necessary to print or reprint photographs from negatives or transparencies, the cost of this work will be deducted from the contributor’s payment.
Where a photograph is submitted that has originated from another source (e.g. museum archive, private archive) it is the contributor’s responsibility to gain permission to publish, and any fees payable from such publication will be settled by the contributor from his/her payment, unless otherwise arranged with the editor. The editor reserves the right to substitute illustrations from other sources to be used with submitted articles.